30.5.14

A sort of new hat from an old sweater.

 
I'm trying to draft up some hat patterns at the moment.  I'm going through another "I-should-make-stuff-and-sell-it-on-Etsy" phase, which will no doubt pass once I remember how little time and inclination I have between looking after kids and working a night job.  And possibly a second job, when I find one.  I know that people manage to do all this and more and still have Etsy stores, but I am not made of super-hero stuff like them.  Maybe when Sophie starts kindergarten next year and I'm able to sit down for more than two minutes at a time and focus, I'll set one up. She keeps me busy, crazy and mentally checked out to everything else.

Anyway, back to the hat thing.  

 

I drew up this pattern, and as I was not really sure how it would turn out, I didn't really want to commit it to spanking new fabric first up.  I've been botching things up so much lately.  So, I had a look about the local Salvos and found this boy's sweater for $2.50, and sliced it up to make this hat.  I lined it with some jersey scrap I had lying about and the striped straps are from a t-shirt that was already butchered to bits to make something else.  I am such a hacker.


Oh, and of course, you just knew there had to be a pom pom somewhere.

It didn't turn out too badly, although I think the fit could be a little bit better.  I think more the problem is, is that Sophie has inherited my oddly shaped head (my head is  wide and has corners) which is probably why it looked a bit poochy on the top.  I'm all for making things a size bigger at this age, but unless she is developing a cone-head, this isn't really working for her.  Luckily, I have enough of this maimed sweater left to try it out another couple of times.

Back to drawing (and chopping) board for this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...