21.1.14


When me and my best girl, Liane, get together, it inevitably means lots of chatter accompanied by a major chocolate overload.  We generally undertake these activities at a cafe, but because the weather forecast for Saturday morning was very hot, and I didn't feel particularly feel like toting about a sweaty, cantankerous toddler, it was decided morning tea at my house was the go, so that we could chill out in the air-conditioning and play with my spanking new kitchen cupboards.

Hmmm, but what to eat?  I spied a box of chocolates I received for Christmas which I *could* open, but that seemed  rather slack and somewhat boring.  Special friends require special effort, so I thought I'd jazz them up a bit.  And knowing Liane probably loves chocolate more than she loves me (just kidding, err, I think?), surrounding chocolate with chocolate and lying it on a bed of chocolate seemed like a really inspired and wonderful idea.

Well, it did!  At the time..... 

This recipe is adapted from Fast Ed's (of Better Homes and Gardens) recipe for Easter egg slice.  So if you want to take a swipe at me for cooking irresponsibly or feel that you want to throw me some statistics regarding the national obesity epidemic, please direct them to the Fast Ed and Better Homes and Gardens websites/pages, because it was originally their idea - ta!
 
Base-

250g Oreo cookies (or a similar chocolate cream sandwich type biscuit)
90g unsalted butter, melted
Box of chocolates (no toffees!  No one's going to thank you for breaking their diet AND breaking their teeth).  Or use fun-size chocolate bars (Bounty bars would be my choice!)

Topping-

375g pack Nestle Dark Melts  (or other dark cooking chocolate, chopped)
2 tablespoons golden syrup
30g unsalted butter
300ml tub thickened cream
80g pistachios, chopped

Line an 11 x 7 inch pan with baking paper.  With a food processor, blitz the oreos into fine crumbs. Add the melted butter, and pulse again until combined.  Press into prepared pan, and place it in the fridge to firm up.

Put the dark chocolate, golden syrup, butter and cream in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly until melted.  Stir most of the chopped pistachio nuts into the chocolate mixture, leaving some aside for later.  Let the chocolate mixture cool for ten minutes.

Place the chocolates from the box on the biscuit base, neatly, or messy, like I did.  Pour chocolate mixture over the base evenly, and top with the remaining pistachios.  Set in fridge overnight.  Cut into pieces and serve.

Recipe notes: 
            Avoid feeding to young children at all costs.
            Do your best to force leftovers onto friends.
            On eating, keep wet-wipes close by.
            Ask often "Do I have chocolate on my face?".  Because you most certainly will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...